Welcome to C.J. Jorgensen Elementary School. We provide a safe and nurturing environment that empowers students and strengthens their ties to the community. Our curriculum incorporates innovative learning opportunities and technologies that serve the needs of today’s students to better prepare them for tomorrow.
C.J. Jorgensen Elementary School was first built in 1957.
The eponym comes from Chris Jorgensen who was born in Denmark on Sept. 10, 1890 and immigrated to the U.S. on April 20, 1907. He joined the U.S. Army in 1918 and became a U.S. Citizen while in the Army in 1918. He moved his family from Iowa to Arizona in 1924 and located to a farm at 27th Ave. and Baseline Rd. He farmed his land for 60 years, mostly raising cotton and livestock. He was associated with the Maricopa County Agricultural and Conservation Service for 24 years and was also a School Board member of the Roosevelt School District for 24 years, directing the District through its largest growth period, from the building of Rio Vista in 1948, which was renamed Cesar Chavez in 1995, to Lassen in 1965. He was a charter member of the Lutheran Church of Hope on Central just South of Southern and turned over the first shovel of dirt for Hope's Sanctuary, spending many days helping to build the church. Chris served on the Church Council for many years in all offices and also was a head usher, a job he really enjoyed and tried to see that the services ran smoothly.