Classified Staff Information
No Child Is Left Behind Act (NCLB) Requirements
The No Child Left Behind Act (NCLB) requires that any paraprofessional (Instructional Assistant) employed in a Title I school must have one of the following:
- Completed 60 credit hours of study at an institution of higher education
- Obtain an associate's (or higher) degree
- Has received a passing score on the paraprofessional test that meets the federal requirements (PARA-PRO or WORKKEYS)
If you have not completed 60 credit hours of study at an institution of higher education or obtained an associate's degree (or higher), you have the choice of either taking the PARA-PRO Assessment test or the WORKKEYS Assessment test. Both tests meet federal requirements for No Child Left Behind for paraprofessionals.
Para-Pro Assessment Test
- The cost is $60.00, payable at the time of testing.
- The test is online (on the Internet) or paper-pencil, depending on the testing location.
- There are ninety (90) multiple-choice questions in the testing areas of math, reading and writing.
- Participants are allowed 2 1/2 hours to take the test.
To learn more about the Para-Pro Assessment Test, you may click here to be redirected to the ETS Para-Pro Assessment website.
Workkeys Assessment Test
- The cost is $30.00, payable when you register for the test.
- The test is online.
- Testing questions are in the areas of math, reading and writing.
- You are allowed 2 1/2 hours to take the test.
To find WorkKeys Assessment Test Locations, please click here to be redirected to the ACT website for Workkeys Testing Sites.